Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Field Trip: Rockaway Taco

Now that summer's officially over, I'm going to post about my one trip to the beach. Timely, I know. I'd heard a lot about Rockaway Taco, so I had one chance to check it out. 

After riding so far out on the A train that we thought there was nowhere else to go, my roommate Jordan and I switched to a shuttle that took us out to Far Rockaway. It almost felt like we'd left New York, except that there was still trash and graffiti everywhere. 
Carne tacos. Biggest mistake of my entire taco-eating life (and the word taco was literally one of my first words). Never have I ever passed on a taco (not even Taco Bell), but the meat in these tacos--grisly and bland--was downright inedible. Jordan and I both trashed the meat and ate the corn tortillas with the guac, cabbage, and radishes.
Chorizo taco. Major improvement from the carne. The filling wasn't as spicy and textured as I like my chorizo, but it was still flavorful.
Fish taco. I've mentioned that I don't like fish, but I had a bite of Jordan's taco and was really pleased with the taste. The crunch of the batter, slaw, and radishes, in combination with the creamy aioli and tangy lime, was really, really nice. In reading reviews of Rockaway Taco (and assessing my personal experience) I see that I completely failed by ordering the carne and not the fish taco. Live and learn.
Plantain and black bean quesadilla. Not really a quesadilla in the traditional sense, this was more of a taco with melted cheese. This totally saved the Rockaway Taco excursion for me. The creamy beans, sweet plantains, and salty cheese nearly wiped the memory of the horrendous carne taco from my mind.
Here are some other pictures of our Goodbye-Summer beach excursion.
Mauling my chorizo taco
Jordan enjoying her fish taco
Goodbye, summer!

2 comments:

Todd said...

Love the taco-eating action shots :)

stevenandhaley said...

I truly appreciate your love for a taco. Many people wander through life assuming all tacos are pretty much the same. You on the other hand have realized the deep connection our souls have for tacos. Thank you for taking the time to spread the word of good tacos and opening the eyes of the lost.