Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Bag Lunch: Turkey Sandwich with Pesto Mayo and Dried Cranberries

I ate a variation of this sandwich for the first time at a bridal shower last summer in Central Park. It was a terrific afternoon, so anytime I make this sandwich I'm transported back to that perfect summer day.

Here's what you'll need (amazing day in the park not included):
  • Bread (I used whole grain)
  • Pesto (fresh or store bought)
  • Mayonnaise 
  • Hard, grate-able cheese (I used Pecorino)
  • Dried cranberries
  • Arugula 
  • Turkey
The flavor profile for the sandwich is a little autumn-y (turkey, dried cranberry), but the arugula brightens everything up making it a great summer lunch. And, bonus, no cooking required.
Mix some mayo into the pesto (or pesto into the mayo, depending how much you love mayo) and spread liberally on two slices of bread. This acts as an adhesive for all the loose ingredients in the sandwich.  Pick a slice and sprinkle on some grated cheese and cranberries. Dried fruit in a sandwich? Blegh, you may say. I was skeptical at first, too, but it brings a nice sweet/tart flavor to this sandwich and provides an interesting textural contrast to the other ingredients.
Pile on a generous handful of arugula and top it off with turkey (placing the turkey last keeps the unruly greens in place) and the other slice of bread.
I have to say, this is a lot more interesting than your standard turkey sandwich, and your coworkers will be impressed that you're not eating peanut butter and jelly, again, for the twelfth day in a row.

3 comments:

Katie Truelove said...

your lunches are very impressive-- i would even accept them as a dinner:) love the sandwich close-up, makes me want to take a big bite!

Cassandra said...

Hi. Can you make my lunch every day? I mean, it just makes sense.

Todd said...

Mmmm... Pesto...