Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Bag Lunch: Chicken Souvlaki

Living in New York and working in publishing could sound glamorous, but the reality is that I live in an extremely expensive city on very little money (think Friends when Rachel was a waitress, except I don't have a closet, a dinosaur-loving boyfriend who can pay for everything, or an apartment in the Village that's rent-controlled). I'm a pretty creative person, though, (read: penny-pinching) and make it a point to keep things interesting for myself by creating delicious bag lunches. I have some more involved posts brewing, but for now, take a peek into my lunch bag.

This week (and, I confess, last's week's) meal is chicken "souvlaki." Why the quotes? Because I'm pretty sure any recipe for souvlaki that you copy out of Real Simple magazine isn't going to be considered authentic Greek. That being said, this is an inexpensive, fast, and (most important) tasty lunch.

Modify this however you want. I've subbed out English cucumbers for Kirby cucumbers and (in the past) mint for dill. The end result is cool, creamy, and crunchy. It's a perfect meal for when you can't stand the thought of turning on the stove and you just need to take out your work rage on a helpless rotisserie chicken and some unsuspecting vegetables.

Here's the recipe. (Disclaimer: Photo on my page taken with my iPhone.)

No comments: