Friday, July 15, 2011

Baked: Chocolate Cream Pie

I've been baking since I was ten (no, not with an EasyBake Oven), but until recently I'd only made apple and pumpkin. After successfully making blueberry and strawberry pies with my friend Katie a few weeks ago, I felt inspired to try something new for the Fourth of July. It didn't take long to decide on Epicurious's Chocolate Cream Pie. Thank you, Cherish, for the suggestion!

Let me immediately start by confessing that I used a pre-made Oreo crust. I did this not really to save time (though it did), but to save money (a whopping $1.40) and to save myself from doing extra dishes (at least five). Below you'll find (almost) all the ingredients you'll need to make two delicious pies, but the star of this show is the Chocolate Cream. Here's the glorious chocolate pudding. Let's just say this bowl and whisk were licked clean once the pie was chilling in the fridge. Since the crust was pre-made, all I had to do after making the chocolate pudding filling was whip cream, and plop both in the shell. (Notice the shaved chocolate. It's a diversion tactic to keep you from noticing that I over whipped the cream in a moment of distraction.)
There's a bit of stove-top preparation in this recipe, but given the fact that you have to chill it for six hours, it's the perfect cool and creamy summer dessert and one I will definitely make again (but probably won't share with anyone, because it's just that good).


No comments: